Thursday, August 9, 2007

HOT AUGUST NIGHTS AND OTHER THINGS

Well, the Atlanta area has broken several temperature records this week. Last night at 11 pm it was 91 degrees! Brought back memories of when I lived in Vegas. :) For some reason, over 100 at night feels better in Vegas than it does here.

I just returned from my latest trip to Nashville. I attended the annual Pineyfest Workshop by Bobbie Gallup. This was my 3rd year in a row, and it was a good one. Met some key-industry folks, listened to some PRO writers do their thing, and met some new fellow-songwriters. Also last week, I played the Atlanta JPF show at the Redlight Cafe...this was cool... and then I played the Nashville JPF show this past Saturday night. I was also able to do a couple open-mics at Lyrix (great sound system) while up there last week. One of the highlights in N'ville was attending the Bluebird show with past winners from the JPF Awards Show. I sat right at the stage right in front of Chris Young (last N'ville Star Winner)...he did the first round, and then on the second round, I was sitting right in front of Janis Ian. What a show. Melody Guy blew me away with a little rock-number she did, something about "I Wanna Be Your Queen." PRO writer, Rory Feek, blew me away with one of his songs, "Sweet Emmylou" performed by his wife, Joey Feek..(I hope I got her name spelled correctly).. This is one of those songs most people will never hear in radio land, but it may be the best song I hear all year. I got to see Mark Collie do 3 of his songs. He was really good. It had been awhile since I had seen him.

This trip I learned that it's totally okay the way I place my capo.. which is usually backwards than most people, but two N'ville writers had theirs the way I do it, so now I AIN'T gonna worry about it anymore. :) I also learned that fellow-songwriter/singer, Joanne Lurgio likes Animal Cookies too and makes a great roommate while in N'ville..... BTW, if you get a chance to check out her stuff, please do.. that's www.joannelurgio.com...

I left N'ville this time really understanding my competition and knowing what I've got to do.
In the meantime, I'm working on some new stuff and working hard with the Georgia Music Industry Association. There's a lot more to talk about...I'll get to it when I can.

I hope to have some new PICTURES posted soon.

Later!
~~~Shelia

No comments: